Crowdresearch:Open Gov - Prototypes Milestone 8
A note on Division of labour
Division of labor is splitting of tasks into number of smaller tasks, with each task performed by a specialized person or group of persons. The Scottish economist Adam Smith saw this splitting of tasks as a key to economic progress by providing a cheaper and more efficient means of producing goods. For example, pin makers were organized with one making the head, another the body, each using different equipment.
Job specialization is advantageous in developing employee expertise in a field further boosting organizational production. However, disadvantages of job specialization included limited employee skill, and employee discontent with repetitious tasks.
It is widely accepted that the division of labour is to a great extent inevitable, simply because no one can do all tasks at once. Labour hierarchy is a very common feature of the modern workplace structure, but of course the way these hierarchies are structured can be influenced by a variety of different factors.
What is a guild
As per the definition provided by thefreedictionary.com a Guild is an association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards
A guild essentially means a group of skilled workers from the industry who have mastered certain industry standards and are researching on new standards.
Guilds originally appeared in Europe near the start of the Renaissance when craftsmen were acquiring new crafts, skills and knowledge. These organizations acted as vocational schools, trading corporations and as product or service regulators. Apprentices received training for their craft from the guilds and earned the rank of skilled artisans. In the 21st century, various professional associations -- such as those representing physicians and film industry professionals -- behave much like guilds did. Students or apprentices work under strict supervision and must demonstrate a certain level of ability before moving forward. They also typically earn low wages while they pursue the right to carry licenses in their chosen field. Once the apprentices earn their licenses, they can practice and associate themselves with the profession
How Guild will solve reputation problem in context to Daemo
- Lower risk for requester as they don't have to worry about quality
- guild improve quality through peer review, peer pressure futher building a competitive environment
- guild are responsible to Impart Training to make workers up to date industry ready
How to form Guilds in Daemo
Micro task like signing up, filing up a survey does not require a specialized worker, hence requester may prefer to post these task in the general pool of workers.
- A General pool of workers - not a part of guild
- Workers under guild- not a part of general pool
- Only experienced Workers can be a part of the guild
- A groups of workers can be a part of specific guild based on his/her skill. For e.g french translator can come under Translators guild, UI developer can come under UI developers association
- Workers can be grouped under different heads based on relevant years of work experience
- Guilds can be formed based on the kind of tasks are being requested
A detailed walk trough of how Guild can fit in Daemo
@alipta Took inspiration from the hangout call "Human Constructed Guilds" so anybody interested to edit the content is free to do so.