Crowdresearch:Open Governance Through Managed Services (Milestone 5)
Developing reliable reputation system is always a open challenge that limit the effectiveness of reputations, a user enjoying a highly valued reputation would imply that the user has conducted good transactions in the past, however his present transactions are kept aside.
Reputation system are always based on past data, or the near past data, each day in human life is different where he encounters a series of events which can turn out to be the influencing agents to change behaviors, John did social work while he was in college but later on he performed a series of illegitimate tasks which has brought his reputation down.
There can be 3 types of reputation - Bad / Good / No reputation / mixed reputation (perform illegitimate jobs, but still help the helpless)
How do you earn reputation in the real world?
Earning reputation is a continuous process and can be earned through delivering good services over a period of time.
The way we earn reputation in real world
- Helping others solve a complex task and earn reputation as a skilled worker
- Establish as a Business man & delivering social responsibility
- Doctors earn reputation by successfully executing a critical surgical operation
- Doing Illegal activity – adding fear factor brings negative reputation
- Being a research scholar
- By Working for reputed organizations
- Get political portfolio
- Graduates from reputed Institutes earn reputation by virtue of the stamp provided by the institute
The reputation system may differ from demography to demography
How to improve reputation system beyond Boomerang? (read this paper to learn more about Boomerang)
IDEA 1 - Remove Reputation system
- Remove the concept of reputation system and have a neutral platform where workers come and work based on their choice. This reduces the human tendency to only look for task from requester with High rating, not everyone can have a high rating, what will happen to tasks which are from coming from requester having low rating, same applies to requester, a requester would always look for a reputed worker what will happen to other workers having low rating.
Everybody wants a good boss, but if we don't get we live with it get adjusted
- However there should be way to establish Open channels between requester & worker through a facilitator so that they can give feedback to each other and set each others expectation.
'IDEA 2 - Establish a career path
- Conceptual model developed from real life - The platform should allow rewards to worker in the form of a promotion, Provide roles to workers, as happens in Industry, jr worker, sr.worker, lead worker based on past performance records, engagement with the system, task approval rate, minimal task rejection
- Create groups within the system – low performers, high performance workers/requester and over time the objective of the worker would be to reach the top of the ladder.
- Peer to peer rating system where each workers based on concrete reasoning & facts also get the chance to rate other workers and this can be allowed once in lifetime
- For “short-lived” workers/requester who have conducted few transactions the ratings will not be valid
- Allow the workers/ requestors to rate who has been in system for a certain period
- Enable Points based reputation
'IDEA 3 - Performance rating over a period of time rather than task to task basis