Crowdresearch:WinterMilestone 2 Alipta
What is happening in the Crowd sourcing market in India
My father used to work in a Govt organisation and I remember in the late 80s he entered into a slogan contest organised by a popular health drink company & bagged a 3rd prize. Unknowingly that was perhaps my first encounter with crowd sourcing which I realized after many years. In my previous milestone write up I had mentioned some examples of crowd sourcing in Indian context, I did also mention about Prof Karim lakhani's concept call Cognitive Surplus, and how the Indian rupee symbol was formed.
In this Milestone too I want to focus on India, analyse the present state of the crowd sourcing platform and then further analyse the needs of workers & requestors.
Over the years we have observed the life on an average Indian following a linear path in their life
- School > College> University > Job > Own an apartment > marriage > kids > Children's Education > Retirement Planning > Son's/Daughter marriage
For Women The path is slightly different for an women
- School > College > Marriage > Kids > Bringing up kids > daughters marriage > Enjoy the company of grandchildren
But gradually the scenario is changing and we are moving away from our traditional belief systems and making space for new ones, the current generation as seen is ready to take up lot of challenges and is deviating from the linear path to create new ones.
- School > College/Part-time time jobs > University > Research > Own consultancy > Retirement planning
- School > College > Full time Job > Own Business > Marriage > Full time-job > Kids > Voluntary Retirement from Job > Own consultancy
Why crowd sourcing as a platform will excel in the future
- No pre-qualification required for workers
- Quick money
- Primary Job market has lot of competition
- Lack of employment opportunities for due to economical instability.
- Performing certain task does not require high level of intelligence
However, Internet being the sole medium of establishing the crowd sourcing platform on a larger scale we might have to dig into the data a bit to understand if Indian workers are are having Advanced Internet Literacy, we can have a detailed discussion later, but as a quick preview and research conducted by GSMA we have some data in hand
Low mobile/computer literacy can be a significant barrier in using the entire platform
- According to a research 23% of the male respondents and 34% of the female respondents does not know how to use a mobile or the more complex features
- 31% of the male and 38% of the female respondents are worried about making a mistake and losing money
- 24% of the male respondents and 32% of the female respondents have Trouble reading content/language”
- 61% of the male respondents and 76% of the female respondents have reported that they need help using mobile internet
The success of a platform just do not depend on how usable the plaform is built but also dependent on the peripheral factors like mobile literacy, basic literacy, human intelligence, social acceptance
My approach towards need finding is generic and not specific to a system, I am trying to find out the problems on a macro level, these macro problems can further be broken down into pieces to understand the micro problems for a specific task. It's a top down approach where I am trying to recognize the generic patterns and drill down further into a complex micro level issue, however the actors systems or context at the micro level may differ , in a software industry we have customers who give tasks to perform, in a crowdsourcing space it is the requester.
Human beings has different set of needs at different stages of life as we grow older our needs are influenced by Socio economic & cultural factors.
In order to analyse the need for a worker at different stages of life I have broken down my research into parts where I have formed different age groups.
Needs are contextual and are dependent on underlying factors like age, time, environments, If a person is hungry then the need is to have food
Age group 18-24
- Context: Atul is studying in 10th standard, his father works in a govt firm and not earning a handful amount, Atul experience whenever he had a requirement (may be he want to take his friend out for a dinner) his father cannot afford to give him the extra pocket money
- Need: Need for Extra Pocket Money, need for social hangouts, travel, fun, need to build social connects and explore various things in life.
Age group 25-32
- Context: Atul took an educational loan finance his studies, since he is out of college its time to find a job, he has been working as a freelance designer and earning some bucks but now and does not have steady income, he is looking for a permanent job and settle there so that he can fulfill his social needs like family life, own a house.
- Need: Permanent job and with a steady income, Earn Social status, plan for long term social goals like marriage, owning a house
Age group 33-40
- Context: Atul is having a steady job, but still looking for a change, he is getting opportunities with organisation who are offering him a better package but with the same designation.
- Need: A role change in the career
Age group 40 & above
- Context: Atul is planning to invest in the money market and looking for a good broker who can guide him also at the same time he is looking for a pension scheme where he would invest.
- Need:Fund building for the future generation, Retirement Planning, Securing life
NEED for a Worker
Age group 18-24
- Work for projects that bring quick money
- Work for a shorter period
- Explore different options
- Follow other worker patterns
- Build contacts
- Spend more time on Social Life
- Spend less time on work
- Target tasks which are easy in nature
Age group 25-32
- Explore Different Opportunities
- Acquire Multiple job related Skills
- Avail on the job training
- Do no like to work under pressure
- No fixed working hours
- Specialize in a particular skill set
- Build trust & credentials in the organisation
- Get the tag of an experienced worker
- Need Incentives as motivation may be in the form of a promotion/salary raise
- Get regular handful income
- Earn more money by putting extra efforts
- Work hard party even harder
- Start Saving money for Future
- Attend Social gathering
- Work under a good boss
- Collaborate with other workers to find quick solutions
- Commit task with high acceptance criteria
- Receive early feedback on deliverable
- Get Positive rating
- Look for new jobss
- Have lunch on time
Age group 33-40
- Enough Free time to spend with family & friends
- Long lunch breaks
- Look for a secured job
- Work from Home
- More disciplined life to keep himself/herself fit & healthy
- Prefer only consulting work which is highly paying
- Capitalize the reputation earned over the years by bargaining on wages
- Respect as a worker
- Hate Individual contribution & need teams to work with
Age group 40 onwards
- Fear of losing reputation as a worker
- Work from home especially for women
- Take up less complex work