Crowdresearch:WinterMilestone 3 Alipta - Darkhorse idea
IDEA 1 - Abolish Reputation system - Provide equal Opportunity to all workers
Getting back to the Indian context where we Indians live under social constraints, where over the years the average life of an Indian follows a linear path
Rohit is working as an Account manager in a commercial Bank, he has spend 9 years of his career checking balance sheets, Profit & loss statements, he comes to office at 9AM and leave by 7 PM, he hate this job because his interest lies somewhere else, he likes photography and wanted to be a wild life photographer, but he feels since he has already spent a considerable amount of time in his career in the Finance industry re-starting and re-settling as a Photographer would pose him a new challenge.
Rohit has earned reputation as a worker in the organisation and at the same time he feels this stereotyped can be taken up by anybody. He could have earned a better reputation if he had been allowed to purse photography as a career path.
Especially in context to India where 24% of India’s population is completely illiterate and another 30% being barely literate we have seen that the average rated worker keeps doing the same type of job through his life for multiple reasons,
- lack of opportunity to change tracks in the middle of a career
- lack of Direction & motivation
- Fear of taking risk
- Social Constraints - some job likes modelling in fashion industry, singing in night-clubs, acting in films, news reporter in media house, some senior role in the corporate world is not seen as a decent jobs by the society.
Doing a job just for the sake of a living & fulfilling family responsibilities brings dis-satisfaction to the worker over a period of time, further de-motivates the worker ultimately ending up with a low productivity followed by a Low rating and finally leaving the system entirely, This low rated worker may re-enter the community with a different identity which may pose a different threat.
A worker by calculating 2+2=4 and earning a handful after working on 100 HITs may be getting a high rating but he may be losing an opportunity to showcase his talent in other domain where he/she can excel, because he is satisfied with whatever earnings he is making he may continue to do the same task throughout his life. Is the reputation system is built on a what a person is actually capable of or just because he has chosen a career path and doing decent work.
Task posted in Microworker
If 100 workers take up this task the result will be same, and if the result is same, How does a requester rate the task, is it based on
- Quality - ruled out
- Time taken to complete the task - ruled out
- is the required proof not enough, are there hidden expectations - May be
- Job accuracy - Yes meaning these 100 workers have done the sign up successfully will get the same rating by the requester
However, in reality are these workers are capable of doing some other task which are complex in nature that require some amount of thought process or analytical bent of mind, solving a complex maths problem, designing a logo, writing an article, reviewing a post, fixing a bug in a computer program, solving a puzzle.
In Daemo Boomerang reputation system is trying to establish a relationship between a worker & requester using the following equation An invisible pair is formed between a worker & a requester
- High rated Worker will have quick access to = High rated Requester & vice-versa
- Medium rated Worker will have quick access to = Medium rated Requester & vice-versa
- Low rated Worker will have quick access to = Low rated Requester & vice-versa
- Let's take an example, there are 10 workers and all the 10 workers are equally performing good, now for a particular task, if we disclose that the output of worker A is selected by requester A then for the next set of task requester A will prefer getting it done by worker A, where as in reality worker B is equally good as A and others.
- Again, let's say a requester had posted a task of designing a logo 100+ workers came up with different concepts the requester picks up one, and not making a public announcement about the logo he has picked up finally.
- Since there is a reputation system in place with an invisible pair all high rated worker will always prefer working for high rated requester and vice versa, abolishing the concept of reputation system and having a neutral platform where workers can select task based on their choice & skill and not on requester ratings can make sense.
- This reduces the tendency to look for task only from requester's having high ratings,
- Not every requester can have a high rating, which is again followed by the question "what what will happen to such tasks coming from requester's having a low rating, obviously these tasks will be addressed by someone, but who are these someones they are no other than low rated workers because all the task from high rated requester are already being taken up high rated workers there will no more task left for other rated workers. It is like the fish is eaten by the cat leaving the bones for the ants.
- In a similar way a requester would always look for a reputed worker what will happen to other workers having low rating, will they find task of their choice or they will continue doing tasks of same type keeping dissatisfaction in mind.
IDEA 2 - Offering Certificate courses & full time programs on Crowd sourcing
Our Industry runs on stamps, students passing outs from premier institutions always enjoy the extra privilege in the workplace, society, family gathering. They are always being considered to solve complex issues & bigger problems which in turn bring reputation to them from social circle, publication & media houses, Industries and educational institutes
Top Performers like first class graduates from premier institutes are always preferred as fresher in an organization. Keeping this picture in mind we introduce programs certificate courses ran by Industry experts in universities for a Crowd worker
In UX domain we have consultants coming in from different fields, Psychology, social scientist, UX designers, visual designer, but only few can reach to their dream companies, and those few are the ones who have earned degrees from Premier institutes.
Crowd Worker can get a stamp and earn reputation just by the virtue of the certificate he/she holds. He/She can name himself as a XXX certified Crowd Worker
IDEA 3 - Rate/label the Task
- Worker A & Requester B prefers working for each other
- Worker A have a high rating & works with Requester B because he is highly rated by worker A
- Requester B post a task which A is not capable of doing because it require some problem solving skills which worker A does not have.
- Worker A can label this task as complex, once labelled the task will show up in the top of the task feed for all the workers (from high rating to low rating)
- This task will be in the top of the task feed to the entire crowd of workers