Milestone 4 Open Gouvernance: Contracts and Insurance System by Team1
Crowdsourcing platforms is a meeting place for workers and requesters, where the formal obligations like official curriculum vitae and job interview can be avoided, gaining a easier access to the market place. However, there’s no representative force for worker’s/requester’s interests and concerns, neither it’s not clear how to proceed in case of dispute or meeting a certain problem while working on the platform. Current research is focused on giving workers and requesters a clear idea of the rules implemented on the platform and how to organise and a representative force for both parties.
Main idea: security
This introductory paper presents the idea of people being organized into guilds while having an insurance system as a workplace policy. This will guarantee better trust between worker and requester, reinforce the reliability and security of the platform, decrease the rate of rejection and transaction costs, and would attract more serious workers and requesters on the platform.
- The General Conditions between two parties is a place where work rules, rules governing hiring, firing and promotion of workers are specified.
- The insurance system (means that worker's and requester's interested are mutually protected) may be presented as a contract, workplace safety and policies that a requester and worker sign before starting working on the task.
- Insurance system works as a safe system both for the worker and requester without a need to invite judges and jurists to a conflicts, managing everything within the platform only, representing part of an open governance system.
- The platform specifies that it doesn’t take any responsibility on itself.
- The very first rules of General Conditions are written by the platform’s creators and are updated every year with the guild’s proposition for improvement voted upon.
- The General Conditions system will be be divided in big section, containing general rules:
- a) Ethics of work
- b) Requester behaviour on the platform, his/her responsibilities
- c) Worker's behaviour on the platform, his/her responsibilities
- d) Employment period
- d) Conflict between worker and requester
- e) Remuneration and benefits
- e) Termination of employment
- f) Others. etc..
- g) Requester can create his own contract, taking the mandatory contract as a base for a specific task. The insurance of the contract can be negotiated between worker and requester before working on a specific task. This may include the variety of following points, but the main terms and conditions point can't be modified :
- a) Employment period
- b) Remuneration and benefits
- c) Termination of employment
- d) others...
To prove the viability of our proposal we can consider the experiment with two group of workers and requesters, while one group is using the contract and the other do not. We propose to create different situations :
- a) after completing a task, requester does not pay to worker
- b) worker doesn’t deliver the submission at the right time
- c) worker do not complete the submission
- d) worker and requester do not agree on the payment (requester thinks his job is underrated)
- e) requester rejects the submission, while requester does not understand the reason of this
- f) others
We ask workers and requesters the situations listed above mixed with normal situations. Neither worker, neither requester doesn’t not know what will happen during next task execution (i.e. requester doesn’t know that exactly this worker will not submit his work) in order to create the natural condition of working. After the experiment, both groups are asked about the results of working, their level of satisfaction of resolving the situation, about the level of trust between worker-platform, worker-requester, requester-platform. We expect that group using the insurance system will be overall more satisfied about the platform and the process of working on it, making platform a more attractive marketplace. We also expect the decrease of rejection for tasks and the decrease of transaction costs.
Contributions @seko - Sekandar Matin & @purynova - Victoria Purynova & @kamila - Kamila Mananova
vocabulary: Guilds - an association of persons of the same profession or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards. The guilds are used to represent workers/requesters interests, they take care of the disputes between two parties, they are responsible for the respect of jurisdiction part on the platform and represent a part of an open governance system.