Difference between revisions of "Pumas AwesomeVirtualTeams"
|Line 13:||Line 13:|
Revision as of 10:41, 13 August 2015
Some relevant research papers on creating Awesome Virtual Teams
How to Build Trust on Your Virtual Team(Video) https://hbr.org/video/2363593491001/how-to-build-trust-on-your-virtual-team
Getting Virtual Teams Right(Webinar) https://hbr.org/2015/02/getting-virtual-teams-right
Communication Tips for Global Virtual Teams
1) Live and breathe your email and make sure the team does too.
2) Give the benefit of the doubt. On teams with huge cultural and language differences its understandable that everybody has different ways of approaching projects,so it’s essential we forgive each other constantly for odd grammar, odd behavior and instead focus on the positives things of our main goal to overcome confusion.
3) Overcommunicate to make sure everyone is on the same page.
4) Be intentionally positive. It’s easy for things to sound negative in written communication but virtual teams don't have the advantage of body language or anything else, so it’s extra important to make sure writen don’t turn into hurt feelings. So it is preferable to be overtly friendly even if it means they sound less “businesslike” or using lots of emoticons.
5) Offer suggestions, not critiques.
*How Google Builds Bosses to Order https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-google-builds-bosses-order-dr-travis-bradberry#ixzz3hrVTlsp8
Takeaways: Google created a program to create great bosses in all of its pipeline. What makes a Boss great? passion, insight, and being TRANSPARENT. "...They are who they are, all the time. They don’t lie to cover up their mistakes, and they don’t make false promises. Their people don’t have to exert energy trying to figure out their motives or predicting what they’re going to do next. Equally as important, they don’t hide things they have the freedom to disclose. Instead of hoarding information and being secretive to boost their own power, they share information and knowledge generously..."
*Cross Cultural Management https://hbr.org/topic/cross-cultural-management
*Collaborating Well in Large Global Teams”. Harvard Business Review 2015 https://hbr.org/2015/07/collaborating-well-in-large-global-teams https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tan1ew5z1fqt6g/Collaborating%20Well%20in%20Large%20Global%20Teams.pdf?dl=0
*Building Better Global Managers,” Harvard Management Update http://www.hbrp.pl/biblioteka/hmm/developing_employees/resources/U0603A.pdf
*How Do You Manage an Off-Site Team?”,Harvard Business Review https://www.dropbox.com/s/shohi37snlumvf1/how%20do%20you%20manage%20an%20offsite%20team.pdf?dl=0
*Trust and The Virtual Organization”,.Harvard Business Review July-August
Takeaways: To collaborate in remote teams we need to be able to trust each other, trust their competence to finish an established goal. ``Virtuality requires trust to make it work: Technology on its own is not enough (...) By trust, organizations really mean confidence, a confidence in someone’s competence and in his or her commitment to a goal
*The Art of Managing Virtual Teams:Eight Key Lessons”.Harvard Business Review. November 1998. http://mcionline.com.au/pluginfile.php?file=%2F9807%2Fmod_resource%2Fcontent%2F1%2FHBR%20Virtual%20team%208%20key%20lessons.pdf