This page gives you how to install the development environment on a Linux based distro
Check python version by running command: python --version This project uses 2.7.*
Open your Terminal by pressing: ctlr+ alt + t. Follow the steps now:
1. To update the list of packages present on your system.
$ sudo apt-get update
2. The following command installs git(version control), nodejs, npm (node packet manager), python-pip (python packet manager), python-dev.
You only need to know git basics for the installation phase. To learn git, try https://try.github.io/ & or watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKg7e37bQE
$ sudo apt-get install -y git nodejs nodejs-legacy npm python-pip python-dev
3. Next we need to install Postgres. Postgres is being used to serve as the database. (Similar to MySQL, SQLite).
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ $(lsb_release -cs)-pgdg main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list'
What this command does is download the Postgres repository for your distribution version. lsb_release -cs is to identify your distribution. Try running it on your terminal.
4. Install bower. Bower is a front-end dependency manager on the likes of npm, pip.
$ sudo npm install bower
5. Create a user and database for Postgres
$ sudo -u postgres createuser -d -w <os_username> $ createdb -E UTF-8 crowdsource_dev
6. Fork our repository to your github and clone your fork to your local machine:
7. Now cd to the directory where you cloned the repositiory and install bower components.
$ cd crowdsource-platform $ bower install
8. Create the database config file