WinterMilestone 2 hamdur.rahman
- 1 Attend a Panel to Hear from Workers and Requesters
- 2 Reading Others' Insights
- 3 Synthesize the Needs You Found
- 3.1 Needs
- 3.2 Interpretations
- 3.3 Observations
- 3.4 Needs
- 3.5 Interpretations
- 3.6 Observations
- 3.7 Needs
- 3.8 Interpretations
- 3.9 Observations
- 3.10 Needs
- 3.11 Interpretations
- 3.12 Observations
- 3.13 Needs
- 3.14 Interpretations
- 3.15 Observations
- 3.16 Needs
- 3.17 Interpretations
- 3.18 Observations
- 3.19 Needs
- 3.20 Interpretations
- 3.21 Observations
Attend a Panel to Hear from Workers and Requesters
Report on some of the observations you gathered during the panel.
- People come on crowdsourcing platform due to problematic condition in their life. Its not one of their best choice.
- Worker change their working schedule depending on their daily engagement and family is foremost.
- Worker are not sure what they will earn next day. There can be fluctuation in wage between two consecutive days.
- Worker search a lot of forum to know about works (high paying, interested to do) and requester to do informed choice.
- Workers help other workers by providing information about work and requester on forum and community. It helps them in turn to get help.
- Workers also create community to educate other workers about their rights and make the platform more acceptable.
- Workers know the pattern about requesters, when they post work and when a high wage work is posted.
- Requester identify workers who are dedicated, provide quality work and are active on forums.
- Requesters and workers are more negative than positive about the platform and about each other.
Reading Others' Insights
Please see the needs, interpretation and observation in the Synthesis section
Synthesize the Needs You Found
List out your most salient and interesting needs for workers, and for requesters. Please back up each one with evidence: at least one observation, and ideally an interpretation as well.
- Worker needs to fulfill their goal like learning new things while doing their work, advance in career and earn more with time to meet end goals.
- Crowd-sourcing work is not the preferred job for workers but a support in their worst time.
- For me turking is a full part time job to support my job cut and low job hours.
- The pay is shit and can work for car wash/laundry then dealing with bad requester.
- Worker needs all the information about work posted and requester to make an informed choice
- Worker search a lot over other source apart from crowd-sourcing platform for information about work and its requester.
- Worker avoid bad and find requester by seeing information like fair pay, approved number of tasks, mass rejection, comments (Are they demeaning)
- Workers on Turkopticon see requester profile, their speed of payment, rejection rate, appeal rate, total value of posted work
- Novice worker concentrate in getting their number up like approval rate , HIT counts.
- Requester needs to design work such that completing it accurately and in good faith requires as much or less effort than spamming.
- Its quite difficult for requester to rely on reputation system to get quality work. So they create inconsistent automated test criteria to select and reject a work.
- The criteria to select a work is dependent on maximum repeatable same work to be done by number of workers. "Majority rules"
- Platform can track work history as one of the way to help requester.
- Requester should trust and respect the effort put by the worker in a work.
- Worker don't trust the existing system of their country due to their situation and crowdsourcing platform doesn't provide them security from requester mistrust.
- New requester cannot enter the system as he exit after seeing the bad quality of work
- Dissatisfied worker have little option rather to leave the platform.
- There are numerous worker in the platform to work for.
- We as experienced worker select some of the work of new requester and sit silently to see his payment and rejection behavior. In some of the cases, rest of his work is picker by new worker to increase their HIT count
- Worker and requester need a transparent collaboration tool to discuss about the work and their ambition to achieve.
- Its quite difficult to create complex work due to lack of collaboration tool
- For requester its all about completing their work with quality and in-time. There is no focus in long term relationship.
- Crowd sourcing platform like Amazon focus on creating cheap and powerless labour market. They earn money as being the middleman and provides power to people who pays in the system.
- Both requester and worker are ready to change if feedback is positive and constructive.
- If explanation of rejection is fair workers will generally admit fault.
- I can run a survey and only pay to the number of workers from whom I can confirm my results
- Crowd worker are not corporate workers, no training, no incentive for quality work, no set of standards.
- Turker interaction with requester matters while choosing, submitting, approval and payment of work.
- AMT largely support requester over turkers.
- Workers are hiding behind API and web forms and requester sees themselves as builder of innovative platform
- Requester need to be flexible in posting works to all crowd-sourcing platform and don’t care about who and how much workers complete the work.
- Task is bind to crowd-sourcing platform, who has created and who is working on it.
- Standardization in crowd-sourcing can help reduce overheads.
- We can create standard set of "simple work unit" that can be later assembled to generate task of arbitrary complexity
- Worker need transparency about the work they have selected or performed.
- Workers are always concerned about the behavior of requester and get confused on unwanted action requester.
- Bad job or quality doesn't mean that worker can be termed as spammer.
- Requester don’t pay for rejected works.