WinterMilestone 3 nalinc DarkHorseIdea:BadgeBasedRewardSystem
- Prototyping process has an additional operational costs.
- Provide alternate perks(like badges) for each set of HITs which is reviewed by a worker.
Daemo is more than just a crowdsourcing platform. Its an ecosystem of crowds, a place where people would literally stay and engage in tasks/activities. In such a platform, it is important to provide additional perks other than monetary benefits because after-all, money is not the only motivator. In fact, studies suggest that money often leads to poor motivation among workers.
My dark horse proposal is in alignment with the proposal for the alternate reputation system[SONAR, SynchrOnous Network of Advance Reputation]. Prototyping is an expensive process, both in terms of money and time while the iteration happens. A viable solution to address this concern would be to provide certain badges to workers. These badges should not be used as filters but should improve worker's reputation within the system. Being an active user on Stackoverflow, I am greatly impressed by the way they handle open-governance. There are periodic elections for moderators and people participate in it, get votes from within the community and serve as a reviewer. Moderators have the ability to flag questions and report wrong answers thereby maintaining the quality of platform. Such a badge system should only be used for open-governance, decide candidature to participate in elections and not be used as filters by requesters as it might lead to 'starvation' and 'infinite waiting' for new workers.
Badges can be classified in 3 groups[gold, silver and bronze] and there could be many badges in each category. Few examples of badges in stackoverflow are as follows:
- 'Fanatic': Visit the site each day for 100 consecutive days
- 'Socratic': Ask a well-received question on 100 separate days, and maintain a positive question record
- 'Stellar Question': Question favorited by 100 users
- 'Great Question': Question score of 100 or more
- 'Famous Question': Question with 10,000 views
- 'Illuminator': Edit and answer 500 questions (both actions within 12 hours, answer score > 0)
- 'Great Answer': Answer score of 100 or more
- 'Populist': Highest scoring answer that outscored an accepted answer with score of more than 10 by more than 2x
- 'Reversal': Provide an answer of +20 score to a question of -5 score
- 'Unsung Hero': Zero score accepted answers: more than 10 and 25% of total
Nalin Chhibber @nalinc