WinterMilestone 3 westcoastsfcr ReputationIdea:Placement Tests
A big issue with current crowd sourcing platforms, more so mechanical turk, is the fact that individuals who are highly skilled are given the same tasks and those who have view skills. While this makes sense, since everyone should have to prove themselves it hinders those who could be making more than 0.03 per task from doing so. And as we've seen the vast majority of Turkers do HITs for money, not sheer entertainment. Most of these tasks are quite mindless and don't require much thought at all, but what if we could expand on this and crowdsource to say, have someone build a website for you. Now of course you wouldn't want to put a hit up and let just anyone go at it. Imagine the amount of failed attempts this would cause. Because of this issue I propose that Turkers can take placement exams. Very similar to the ones students take before entering college so they start off with the proper courses. This would not only benefit Turkers that have these skills, but the requesters as well. No longer would a requester be limited to only getting work for such mundane tasks. While this would require some finer details, which I will go into, it is something that be worth taking into consideration.
These placement exams would need to be sorted by field of interest. This would allow the placement exams to be more thorough and precise than a general placement exam would be. The key point of this is to not have these placement exams reflect standardized testing, but instead see how well someone has mastered these trades. These would be sorted into categories such as: Arithmetic, Art, Computer Science, Engineering, and more. This would result in better work results as well as higher income for Turkers. After taking the exam Turkers would need to sign a contract stating that once they have received payment for their work, it is no longer their property and the requester can do with it as they please. This would eliminate the issue of Turkers not getting paid and requesters using their work. The requester will be given a set amount of time that they can pay the Worker and if they don't the work vanishes. How this will work is that up until the requester pays they have agreed to a contract that says this is the Workers property and they cannot use it. Once they pay it is now the requesters property and the Worker has lost all right to this. If the requester is really impressed with the work they can provide the worker with a rating of 1 to 5. Other requesters can see the workers average and use that as a mode to decide whether or not to higher them. If the workers perform at a 3 or lower for five tasks they have their certification stripped from them. They can get certified again, but only a maximum of three times.
- Give workers immediate access to work that suits their skill level
- Help workers get paid more
- Prevent workers from having to do low paying tasks to eventually get paid more
- Keeps requesters from being cheap and not paying a user, but still receiving their work
- Helps requesters get the quality work they want
- Helps expand what requesters and workers can do
- Give requesters the ability to get more practical tasks done
How does each point address user needs
Give Workers immediate access to work that suits their skill level
- They offered work that fits the results on their exams. No more, no less
Help workers get paid more
- This keeps workers from doing the same simplistic and mundane tasks that most entry level workers have to to reach decent pay
Prevent workers from having to do low paying tasks to eventually get paid more
- This was answered in the above, but it keeps workers from doing tasks that are far below their skill level and almost beneath them. It allows them maximize their skills and have it be reflected in their income.
Keeps requesters from being cheap and not paying a user, but still receiving their work
- Requesters can no longer receive someone's work and then simply not pay them. Instead they will be allotted a time slot in which they have to pay the worker or else the results vanish. Once the requesters pays the worker then they receive the results.
Helps requesters get the quality work they want
- Since Workers will be doing work that matches their skill level and suits their interest they will be more likely to perform well. This also allows requesters to only get workers who are certified for the task, thus already have experience dealing with it.
Helps expand what requesters and workers can do
- This allows a whole new skill set into the realm of mechanical turk that can allow much more advanced tasks to be performed.
Give requesters the ability to get more practical tasks done
- Instead of requesters being limited to mundane tasks they can know ask for more advanced ones. This sets up a sense of trust between the requester and worker since they have already shown they are capable of performing these tasks.
- Someone could do the placement exam for them
- They could look up the answers while taking the exam
- Requesters could only look for people who are overly qualified, leaving their certification useless.